Discover How I Work At Home Typing & You Can Too!

When I was in high-school I always dreamt of working at home typing. So like many of you I searched the Internet in the hopes of finding that elusive work at home typist job. Little did I know that it was virtually impossible.  Consequently in my desperation I fell into one of the many work at home typing scams and lost $50! Back in the days that was a lot of money to me. Actually, that’s still a hefty amount to me! lol The one major thing that came of that experience is that it  lead me to eventually create my own work at home websites . It’s why you’re reading this now. But prior to doing that, I figured out how I could create my own typing work at home job and it was purely by accident. Here’s how it all came about. Be patient it may help you as well.

My mom worked in a hospital. As her job began to transition more into using computers , she would often take additional time out to study the programs she was required to learn. The hospital she worked in had it’s own medical library. I was bribed by mom into going to the medical library with her because she said I could use their computers which were very fast and had high speed Internet connection.  Most young adults need money or video games as a motivation but I was a geek at heart so computers were just as a good to me.

In any event, like most mothers with their children, I am my mother’s pride and joy. So she would make it a point to introduce me to everyone she knew in the library. And if that wasn’t embarrassing enough I would also be introduced to innocent bystanders that happen to be around as my mother introduced me to folks she knew. But God bless her heart because she helped me stumble upon how a work from home typing job was possible. As I was played in the library’s computer room,  I noticed a lot of the people were medical students using the computers to type their papers. I watched as they struggled to type 1-5 words a minute using two fingers. As I sat there I was suddenly smacked in the head, kind of like when pigeon droppings hit you, but this was an unexpected idea that was hitting me. I thought to myself, "Duh, why not offer to type the papers for these students?" After all, as medical students it meant they had some disposal income, they were going to be in school for a while and judging by their typing skills, it was more painful for them to continue to do it on their own.

So I asked my mom to tell some of her library buddies that I would be willing to type their papers for about $3-5 per page or some figure around that range. Forgive my memory, It was a very long time ago and my mad cow syndrome tends to act up these days. In either case I was able to secure 2 clients from my mom with consistent weekly work. It was pretty decent money considering how fast I typed and that I could do it in the comfort of my home.
What made it great was that my clients even came to my house to pick up or drop off work. On some occasions my mom served as my go to person. (I kept the work in the family.) Business was great for some time. Eventually I gave up this business to take on running my sites. But in all my years of trying to work at home,  It was the only way that I was ever able to make money at home typing in a legitimate way.

So what does this mean for you?
Well if you’re smart you’re already thinking I need to check out some hospitals in my area and hang out in their medical libraries. If you didn’t think to do that, you may want to give it a try. Medical students are often tired because of their long hours and all the studying they have to do. So they’re definitely more inclined to pass down their typing needs to you because it’s totally worth it to them. College and high-school students may not be ideal because of their limited budgets and in this day and age they’ve been typing since they were out the womb. So chances are,  they ain’t paying you to do it for them!  But I know medical students are a good target based on my own experience and considering their lifestyles. There may be other opportunities like this that are eluding me. So try to think it through and see if you can find an opportunity like this if you’re hell bent on finding a no fee work at home typing job.

I hope this gives you an idea how to get paid working at home typing in a legitimate way. I know it worked well for me when I first started trying to work at home. It takes a little footwork and luck. But you’re far more likely to secure something than what you’re already doing now. What do you have to lose?

Fusion Cash, a Better Business Bureau Accredited company is looking for web workers to fill out free offer forms of various products and services o...
Hits4pay is an Internet advertising network sharing it’s advertising revenue with it’s members. We have advertisers all over the world who are will...
We’re an entrepreneurial business set up with the idea that internet advertising should pay you for viewing and clicking on ads. Our two founders s...
The MySurvey.com Consumer Panel is a group of consumers from all over the United States who influence future products and services who are paid to ...
ICS is currently looking for people of varying cultural backgrounds, age, race and gender to take short online polls regarding various topics. The ...

Comments

1. Julie Herrick says

Eddy, You have been a God-send to me! Your advice has kept me out of a lot of bad situations.
    Thank you for your kindness and for all that you do to help workers (or aspiring workers) in need!

Hey Mav. Glad you like my articles and my style. Thanks for the kind words. I don’t know what country you’re in but you might want to try our international page:

You’re best bet at work at home will be internet based. So you’ll have to adjust accordingly. You also shouldn’t limit your self to typing. You should try anything legitimate that will earn you some money which is always better than earning none.

So keep that in mind!

3. Mtmcrae says

“this is Mav”, I love the style of your words, it is interesting to read and makes good humor part of the picture and keeps the hopes up….. Wish the typing thing could work for me because I could type for hours but unfortunatly I live in the country and no one is close enough to want me to type for them around here…. I have five boys, been working for almost 20yrs, have a bad back and need to be able to work from home but keep coming up empty…Don’t want to do internet stuff just basic office type work for a company from home….

This is a clever idea, Eddy, and a great example of how if you just think outside the box a little, you can turn your idea into cash. If you see someone struggling with something you happen to be good at, let them hire you for it!

5. Classiccreations2009 says

I am a college graduate, married, grandmother looking for a legitimate way to earn income. I have worked for several people, some wonderful, others s full of themselves that they were unable to get their job done. I am smart, capable and all I want to do is work so my husband and I can have some years together that we greatly deserve.

6. Teena says

Hey Eddy, just an FYI for anyone that is interested there is a site that offers free education. They’ve got a LOT to offer, so look around. You may just find what you are looking for. OK the website address is: http://www.free-ed.net

Enjoy!

7. Ms Edrena says

@Jorge:

Jorge, you’re a real sweetie! I’ve lost thousands of dollars on scams so I’m a hard-core skeptic now. Thank the Lord that this is a trustworthy site and that Eddy has the patience to research and critique various opportunities then bring them to us in one place on his site, giving both the pros and the cons. He also gives us links to others who are providing similar services because he wants all of us to have all the chances we possibly can have. He doesn’t have a “stinkin’ thinkin’ ” attitude or any of that “professional jealousy” which would prevent his sharing those links with us. He really wants to see success. Well, let me push my soapbox back under the table before I get a citation for preaching without a license. Have a blessed day, Jorge, and keep on keeping on.

8. Jorge says

Lol, you guys are too much. “Repent! And the truth shall set you freeeee!” lol It’s absolutely true what Edrena saying, though. You ARE giving us everything we’ve been searching for online. I mean, sure, you gotta have mutliple things goin to make a decent income. But, that’s the point, we’ve been F’ed so many times with scams that had us sending them money. You open our eyes and show us there’s no such thing as making $500 a day with simple work from home, lol. You show us the realistic side and literally take us by the hand and GIVE us these opportunities. Means alot to me, man! So Edrena you’re absolutely right! Bless! =)

Well thanks again Jorge! I’m just about giving people legitimate options because there are a lot of them out there. So I’m very happy to be in a position to do that. But more importantly I get really excited hearing people take action and their success stories. It inspires me and I know it inspires others. So it’s a win win for all.

9. Ms Edrena says

@Jorge:

Hear! Hear! Yes, Jorge, Eddy is a very amazing person. He\’ll help those who really are serious but he knows how to cut through the BS as well. This is one of the reasons this site is so awesome, because we get all of the the meat and none of the bones. He filters out the BS so that we who enjoy this site can continue to come here and not have to weed through a bunch of nonsense, belly-aching, and negativity.

@Jorge you have to take my big sis’s feedback with a grain of salt, she’s a bit biased towards her adopted internet little brother. lol Right sis? ;)

10. Jorge says

@Eddy Salomon:
    Well, thanks for the info, Eddy. You’re a pretty amazing person. The fact that you respond to all our comments with full detail is awesome! You should win a Nobel Peace Prize! lol =P Once again, man, I truly appreciate everything you’re doing! God bless!

LMAO, Thanks Jorge.
      Trust me I don’t respond to all comments. Some comments don’t even make it on here. lol But I do try to respond to the ones that do. I appreciate that folks actually come here and participate so I think it’s only right to chime in when possible. But thanks for the kind words and support. I really do appreciate it!

11. Ms Edrena says

@Eddy Salomon:

Time does have a way of flying when you’re having fun, doesn’t it? Is it fair for you to have so much fun and get paid for it too? This is a wonderful site and is such a god-send to so many. Have a blessed day my ‘lil brother.

Yes it does Edrena! I don’t know if it’s fair but I know that’s the way it should be. If you’re going to spend most of your hours working, it should be at something that you love if you have the choice. So my goal is to try to help folks get that. Hopefully in the years to come I’ll help many folks achieve this. Thanks for the love and support Big Sis.

12. Jorge says

Hey Eddy,
    First and foremost, I’d like to say this website has been THE most helpful thing I’ve ever come across on the internet. It’s amazing how you made this a one-stop shop for everything one can possibly look for when it comes to working at home. I’m only 22 and I’ve already been scammed thousands of times on the internet. One scam was buying an ebook and my Bank of America account kept getting overdrafted because the $50 dollar payment kept getting taken out from Paypal and refunded. So, the overdraft fees stacked up to $500 which I unfortunately still owe. So, I just wanted to thank you for being the reason that I will be able to pay that off soon and finally get an actual bank account established again.
    *Phew* sorry for the novel, lol. Well, the real reason I’m writing today is because I just had a question about the medical library idea. Simple question. Those papers that the medical students type up, is everything basically already pre-written? I’m just somewhat confused because I had an ex-girlfriend that had to usually type up essays when she was studying Health Administration. So, she would have to type as she goes. Sorry, it’s a rather odd question, lol. I was just curious. Thanks in advance, and God bless you for heart and effort to help people like me, man. Be safe!

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for the kind words. I’m sorry to hear you’ve been a serial victim of these work at home scams. Don’t fret. It’s a battle scar that many of us who successful work at home have. So you’re in good company. It’s just a matter of learning from that mistake and always doing your research which we’ve made very easy with our scam video:

In terms of when I worked with these Medical Students, they already had the material written out. All I was doing was just typing it out for them so it was legible and can be presented to their instructors. It wasn’t like I was actually writing the work for them otherwise that business would have been short lived since I knew nothing of their world. lol Hope this helps. But honestly I don’t even know how viable this is anymore. Seems to me everyone is on computers today and knows how to type although probably not all that fast. But I guess at the end of the day it’s worth a shot. Just keep in mind, I’ve found other options since writing this article and have listed it on my recommendations page:

Good luck either way.

13. Morne says

Hi

I’m so sick and tired of scams. I’m realy strugling to make an honest living, only to be scammed by these low lifes. Hope they rot. Good luck guys and thanks for the rality-check.

Hello Eddy,
    Thank you for sharing this article. After reading the article that you write,
    I want to deepen become more about how to do business online.
    It seems to work at home is one of the alternative business I want a commitment.

15. Ana says

Saw the post from Sharon and I knew there had to be a catch with medical transcription. I know, Eddy, that you feel this is an excellent idea for anyone wanting to work at home, provided they were “willing” to get the training.

The key word is not “willing” but “able.” Most people these days, and definitely most of the people writing here, are in no position to pay for traditional medical transcription training. I’m certainly not. And, just as important, Sharon brought up the necessity for post-training experience. So you really do have to have worked in a hospital for a few years before going the at-home route.

I knew there had to be more to it. I think the only thing left for most of us is having your own web business. Jobs that actually support you just don’t exist.

Hey Ana,
      As always, its great to have these little discussions with you.

So let me just chime in with my two cents as if you didn’t know it was coming. lol Anything where you’ll be making a decent income will have some downside or “catch” as you put it. If it were easy to become a doctor or lawyer, then we’d all do it. But we don’t because it’s a tougher path. Unfortunately that’s just the way life is. Anything that’s worth something will probably mean some sacrifices. Folks that go to Medical School or Law school aren’t often able to do so. But they are willing to put themselves into massive amounts of debt to achieve their goals. Furthermore there is no guarantee that they will become Doctors or Lawyers. But it’s a risk they take to succeed. Medical transcription is no different. If folks want to type, then the option is there but yes sacrifices will need to be made.

The other thing to keep in mind which I think you missed as your read the article, is the training company I mentioned above is one that provides job placement assistance with companies that hire first time MTs which eliminates that huge obstacle that most new MTs face. It’s the biggest reason I recommended that company because my research had already identified the experience thing as being an issue.

That being said, times were significantly different when I wrote this article. The economy wasn’t in the dumps. (Thanks Bush). Now people are just trying to keep a roof over their head and food on the table. If that’s the case then no it doesn’t really make “Cents” to invest in career training for this or any of the other careers that people can actually make a living with. The focus should be survival. That means do whatever you need to. If that means hitting up Mc Donald’s and flipping burgers than that’s what I would be doing. So I totally agree with you. But eventually if you want to become successful at working at home full time and being able to support your family, a sacrifice will need to be made. I made tons of sacrifices to become a successful affiliate/blogger. But it was a risk that I knew I had to take to work at home because experience had already told me that trying to land a work at home job out here is damn near impossible. So I had to get skills that were actually in demand.

As you guessed it, running your own business was definitely the way to go. But that still involved investing in my business, my training, time, etc. So the point is you will be dealing with some sort of “catch” with any opportunity or career that pays you substantial income. You just have to figure out which one of those “downsides” you’re willing to deal with and can deal with given your circumstances. It’s either keep doing what you’re doing now and getting more of what you’re getting. Or try something different to see if you can get the desired effect.

Hope you see where I’m coming from?

16. Becky says

@MsJaxxee:
    I am curious how the course was going? I am interested in medical transcription field also.
    Can you tell me where you got the cd’s & also what you do to actually get a “degree” in the field?

17. sherry says

Eddy, could you share with us that have been burned by trying to work from home and was scammed what companies you work from now or in the past? I have read and understand that this is a very broad question, but I also know that real people like to relate with other real people. I really would like to find a good data entry company to work with in the beginning and then move on to another company later on when I get comfortable with what I am doing so I could change up and not do the same thing every minute.

Hi Sherry,

It was a very long time ago and I doubt most of these companies even exist. And if they do, they may have been taken over by new owners. But with that said, I was scammed by paidresponse.com, magmoney.com and I was also hoodwinked by those work at home directory booklets that were huge in the 90s. In essence the booklet I paid for was a bunch of home business not jobs that I was already aware of. Needless to say, I was very peeved. I also feel for a cash gifting pyramid scheme via a “friend” so I don’t know the name of the company. I’m sure there are a few others I’m missing. But at my age the “mad cow” acts up and I can barely remember what I said 10 minutes ago. :)

In terms of the whole idea of landing a data entry job, I would encourage you to read the article I wrote about this career:

I think it will give you the truth about the likelihood of getting a data entry or typing job. Good luck either way.

18. Sharon says

Saw where a couple people wanted to learn transcription for free, or work at home doing transcription because they have kids or “love to type”.

Don’t go to any schools that are not accredited. Transcription is not an easy job. You need schooling and must learn all the parts of the body, all the drugs, do English as a second language docs, get paid by line, not hourly and MUST do so many lines a pay period. There is also a set schedule of work hours, too, just like if you were working at a regular job.

There are so many so-called MT’s out there that the pay as dropped from $.12 a line to as low as $.03 a line, plus a lot of records are being offshored to India, Pakistan, etc. and that cuts out a lot of USA MTs.

Another down side is that even after you graduate from a school, you’re considered a “newbie” and most companies only want people with 2 or more years experience. The only way to get the experience is to work in a hospital. Even now, they are starting to ask for 5 years experience. Voice recognition is starting to take over the field, too.

I want out of the rat race but can’t type much anymore because of a broken hand with serious pain if I “straight type”, so I went to VR. My pay is okay but… anyone wanting to get into
    transcription to go to MTStars.com and see how the rest of the MTs feel about their jobs. It’s eye-opening.

19. Nicole says

I have been looking for work from home jobs. I tried my survey. I must say that it is legit but I don’t make that much doing it. Do u know oh any work from home jobs that are full time that I can make a decent living from? I have 4 children that I am raising and there are no jobs in economy for right now so I need something to pay my bills. Please help me! I also want to know do I have to pay anything for the work from home sites and what about the rebate processor jobs?

Hi Nicole,

Glad to hear you’ve made some money with MySurvey. I know it’s not much but you’re in a rare club of people that have actually made money from home.
      So some money is better than none. What you’ve proven is that you can make money with non-traditional work at home opportunities. So what you might want to do is get involved in more of them so you have multiple streams of income from them that will eventually equal as much as you would get for a traditional job. It’s an easier path. With that said you could still apply for traditional jobs but you might as well make some money with non-traditional opportunities during the search process.

We’ve recommended some other opportunities you may want to consider on the following page:

And I don’t know if you missed the link right at the top of the page that reads work at home jobs, but you can click on that and find traditional work at home jobs there as well:

So take a wide net approach to making money at home. Don’t just depend on traditional jobs because honestly you’ll be waiting for a while. Be proactive and make money with other non-traditional opportunities while searching for those other jobs.

Just don’t let desperation cause your judgment to be impaired. I would encourage you to read our scams page:
      http://www.workathomenoscams.com/scams so you don’t fall victim to some of the scams out there because they’re on the rise and targetting good people like yourself who are dying to pay their bills and support their families.

Good luck, if you follow my advice you’ll find success.

I hope this helps.

Hi there.
    Thanks for this article. I might want to check out other hospitals in my area (Seattle, WA resident here) and check out their medical libraries and see if any of the Med workers need my service as well. I would like to do typing at home kind of work.

Hi Laurie,

It’s great you plan to take action with this.
      If it doesn’t work out, there is always medical transcription which is the one consistent and available
      typing job:

Just stay away from buying any typing or data entry work at home product and you should avoid
      a lot of problems.

Good Luck to you.

Eddy

Sarah,

If you follow the steps in our scam video:
      http://www.workathomenoscams.com/scams you would avoid a lot scams and wasting money.
      I am sure if you use it with the website you mentioned above you’ll have your answer in seconds.

At the end of the day, you should never pay for any of these data entry, typing, survey products.
      Most of the time they’re misleading you and you can get this information for free on sites like
      the very one you’re on.

Do yourself a favor and stop the cycle of getting scammed by educating yourself on this industry.
      You can do this within a few hours by visiting the following pages:

You’ll also learn of legitimate ways of working at home.
      So get to reading if you’re serious about avoiding scams and working at home.
      I guarantee it will help you like it’s done for so many others.

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it.
    In terms of the lack of a response, trust me when I say that’s just part of this industry. It’s not necessarily a reflection of you or the leads. Read the following articles and you’ll have a better understanding as to why this is rampant in the work at home industry:

I also want you to understand that you have a great set of skills but success in working at home is having the skills that are in demand. Although typing and data entry skills are good for medical transcription that is not the only requirement. You need additional medical terminology training.
    http://www.workathomenoscams.com/typing So that may be working against you in terms of those jobs.

In terms of getting paid to read emails, its just a matter of signing up:

receiving emails, reading them, visiting the sites in them and getting paid. It’s really that simple.
    Visit the following page for more details:

In any event, I hope this helps. Just continue to plug away at contacting employers but at the same time make money doing non traditional work at home opportunities like the ones we have listed in the following page:

There is no reason you can’t be earning money right now while waiting for traditional jobs. So take advantage of these opportunities.

Eddy

22. Laurie says

Hi Eddy!

I would like to thank you for all the information you provided in helping people choose legit companies. I do have a few questions I would like to address: I have went on the workathome website that you provided and applied to about 15 jobs a wk. ago, but I still haven’t heard from anyone?? I did hear from a company looking for Medical Trancriptionists and I took their required tests but I am still waiting to hear from them. I have many yrs. of experience in outbound/inbound calling, sales, data entry, and customer service skills. Also, how do you get paid for reading e-mails? I have seen that listed on some web sites.
    Thank you!