Better Business Bureau Listed Work From Home & Scams!

Because there are so many work at home scams out there people have become very wary of all work from home opportunities, as they should be.  There is a lot of crap out there! So good folks like you don’t know who to believe or trust.

Most websites tend to recommend that “The Better Business Bureau” is a the only place to use for your research.

I’m here to tell you this is very bad and limited advice. Hear me out before you make any assumptions because you may change your mind as I was forced to after learning the truth. Many people are under the misguided assumption that if a company isn’t listed with the BBB it must mean they’re a scam! That’s a bunch of bull.

The BBB isn’t A Government Agency!

The Better Business Bureau is a for profit company that is in the business of making money first! They don’t work for the government or just for the good of consumers. Do you know how they make their money? It’s by charging small and large businesses hundreds if not thousands of dollars just to become a member. Strangely enough the price will vary depending on the size of your business or who you happen to speak that day.  Isn’t that convenient ?

BBB Complaints

1. There have been many reports where businesses have been victims of intentional slander by their competition or jaded customers. So many legitimate companies will call the BBB to combat this and complain. You would naturally assume the BBB would be willing to help. After all, they’re about the truth and helping people avoid scams, right? But instead some have reported that the BBB won’t assist the business in clearing their name unless the business is willing to pay the ridiculous hundreds if not thousands of dollars membership fee. Doesn’t that sound a bit like extortion to you? Why would a company need to pay for the truth? My #1 Legitimate & Free Recommendation went through this! Fortunately I knew better and didn’t make any assumptions.

2. People have also argued that there are many companies that are members of the BBB that are actually very shady organizations or flat out scams. But because the companies are willing to “pay to play”, aka the membership fee, they get a passing grade from the BBB. Does this sound like an agency that is really about helping consumers or is it more about making money?

3. Look,  we all know in the work at home world there are more shady people than there are honest. But  contrary to popular belief, having a few complaints in a BBB report doesn’t equate to a guilty verdict. Any company that has been around for a long time will have some complaints. Do a BBB search on some major companies such as PEPSI, DELL, Microsoft, etc and I guarantee you’ll find dirt on all of them. Sometimes people whine for the sake of whining. If you just gauge a company’s legitimacy on a BBB report you’re not getting the complete story, especially when you consider the other things I mentioned above.

So if I were you I would take the BBB ratings with a huge grain of salt!

Cross Reference Your Sources

In my humble opinion its a better idea to search outside the BBB as well to get a full picture. Personally when it comes to research, I don’t look to ONE source for my information. It’s like putting all your eggs in one basket and we all know how that can work out. So with that in mind, I like reading what others have said about a company by doing a simple Google search with the name of the company + the keyword scam.

For example: WorkAtHomeNoScams.com + Scams.

You can watch this video on how to do this effectively. This is very effective because I can read what various other people and websites are saying. I then compare that feedback with what I find at the BBB if there is a report available. Basically I’m looking for a pattern of positive or negative reports on a company for a given period of time. If most people are raving about a company on various websites than I’m more inclined to believe a BBB report that gives them a high grade as well. But if most people and websites are posting negative feedback but the BBB rating is positive. Then I’m sorry, majority rules for me over the BBB.

So my final thoughts are that the BBB is an OK resource for a small portion of your research. But I would keep the points I made in this article in mind. The BBB should only be a STARTING point and NOT the be and end all of determining whether a company or website is legitimate.

If you gather data from various resources, you’ll have a far more educated and accurate view of a company.

Better Business Bureau (BBB) Listed Work At Home Opportunities

Now that we got all that out the way. I’ve compiled  a list of some  recommended work at home companies that have either a good standing or very few overall complaints within the BBB.  That is if you insist on using them as your only proof of legitimacy. (Stubborn, aren’t we? LOL).

But before I provide you with my BBB list, I want you to check out my #1 Work At Home Recommendation.  It’s one of those companies I mentioned that refused to be bullied into “paying to play” by the BBB. But if you search the web for reviews, you’ll see literally thousands of people that are happily recommending them. So it goes to prove my point.

Fortunately I’ve been a member of their site since 2007 and I chose to ignore the lack of a BBB rating. Instead I listened to the thousands of people that kept telling me that this was the real deal. It’s a decision that has led to me working at home full time and earning thousands of dollars every month! I’m confident it can do the same for you and it’s totally FREE to join!  So give it shot!
Okay here is the rest of my BBB approved list of work at home companies.

• InstaGc.com  (Via parent company: Day Online Solutions, LLC )

Update: Initially the companies listed above is all I could find. But I have managed to muster up some more. I’d be happy to share them with you if you could…

What Do You Think About The BBB?

What are your thoughts about all this? Do you swear by the BBB reports? Or do you have other resources that you use?

If you enjoyed this article, please become a subscriber by clicking here. You can also connect with me on Facebook on my fanpage here. If you would like more options in terms of legitimate work at home opportunities and jobs, then click here. Thanks for reading! Feel free to share this article with anyone you think will find value. We’ve made it easy with the icons below this post!

We’re an entrepreneurial business set up with the idea that internet advertising should pay you for viewing and clicking on ads. Our two founders s...
Hits4pay is an Internet advertising network sharing it’s advertising revenue with it’s members. We have advertisers all over the world who are will...
Companies are looking for consumer opinions from people like you! Since 1999, SurveySavvy® has been directly connecting you with those companies an...
The MySurvey.com Consumer Panel is a group of consumers from all over the United States who influence future products and services who are paid to ...
ICS is currently looking for people of varying cultural backgrounds, age, race and gender to take short online polls regarding various topics. The ...

Comments

I was scammed decades ago by a business that proudly had the BBB plaque displayed on its wall!

So, I knew the truth about the BBB way back then when I got taken for my money by one of their “approved” businesses.

The BBB exist to make money – period.

Whatever I see on the BBB, I take it with a grain of salt.

When you’re researching businesses or home based jobs, you should NOT solely rely on the info on the BBB. First use common sense and second do a full research of the company and really look at people’s complaints – are they valid? Are they specific as to what the problem/issue was?

That’s where I suggest people start.

Another great post Eddy! Too many people think the BBB is the Holy Grail – and nothing could be further from the truth!

No argument here Corrisa! But in our industry there are folks that keep pumping this nonsense of the BBB being the be and end all of research. But your experience validates my argument against it. So thanks for chiming in!

2. amanda says

I have been with a job now for 2 years and they have recently started cutting hours like crazy.i have some health issues that is making this hard as well.im trying to find a legit work from home job so that I can still help my husband pay the bills.do you have any ideas as to what companys are real and not scams

3. Carolyn says

I’ve been looking for work for about three weeks now. Currently unemployed, and it sounds nice to be able to find a way to make money thru a wah service. But here’s my thing I don’t believe in spending money for a needed job. If i was out in the real world they wouldn’t ask me for money before hiring me. Granted, some places may ask for a uniform reimbursement or a non-refundable fee for certain supplies, however its nothing too expensive. So i guess my question is, Is there really a wah business without membership fees??

Hey Carolyn, Sorry to hear you’ve lost your job. Unfortunately that story is too common. Here’s the thing if you’re looking for a job, you shouldn’t have to pay to work for the company. But one way or another you are paying. If you used your internet connection to find the job, you paid for the job. If you drove to a job interview, you paid for gas to get there. Therefore you paid for the job. There are many ways you are already doing that. That said, no I shouldn’t have to pay an employer to work for them. My work pays them.

But if you’re looking for a business where you’re the boss you’re sorely mistaken if you don’t expect to invest in the business and yourself. Can you start a McDonald’s without money? How do you pay for the store, rent, supplies, employees, etc?
      You can’t approach a business with an employee mentality. If it didn’t require money to start a business than everyone can have a McDonald’s making them billions of dollars every year. But they don’t because it takes money to make big business money.

So if you have no interest in being a business owner than stick to hunting for a job where you don’t have to directly outlay money. But if you want to start a business and be successful at it, you’re going to need to invest money in some shape or form eventually. One of the reason why I like recommending WA is because they do offer a free starter membership for folks like you who may not really understand what it takes to run a business. It gives you an opportunity to see what it’s about, provides you with some training and some support. Then you can determine if a business is really right for you or not. Because a lot of people think a business isn’t right for them because it requires an investment. I had the same misguided notion and it took me a while to get over it.

Fortunately I did and eventually I started my own business that lead to a salary and lifestyle that no job would have given me. But to each their own.

Hope this all makes sense. Either way, I wish you the best in your job search. It really does suck being unemployed. So here’s to you getting something soon.

Good luck.

Eddy with a Y. LOL

• Carolyn says

Thanks Eddy, that makes sense. guess i really didnt know what wah was all about, nor what all i was really looking for. But i do appreciate the clarification. Thank you

4. Jack Parker says

This is the first site I’ve seen where the information is honest and intelligent. I like the Tell It Like It Is approach. No beating around the bush, just straight talk. THANK YOU! I became unemployed five months ago and am having difficulty finding work because I don’t have a car to get around. I just found out that my apartment complex changed management and rents will be going up when my lease is up in May.

I need to start now because my money runs out at the end of January. (No benefits of any kind!) All I need to get by is $1400/mo. to get by. $1500 for a little cushion. Is it possible to make this amount of money with WAH businesses? I’m diligent in keeping on top of things and can give very quick turn-around. Like a waiter does, get ‘em out to get more in! Thanks SO MUCH for this, Eddy!

Thanks Jack. That means a lot. I don’t like people fluffing me so I don’t do it to others. So I’m happy you can appreciate it.

I’m sorry to hear about your job and car situation. Not having a car really limits you in the job market unless you live in a city where public transportation can get you where you need to go.

I wish you started sooner. Because I don’t know anything that will give you that type of money in less than a month. Any real business will take months if not longer to build into something successful. So to answer your question yes it’s totally possible to make that type of money and way more running an online business. But it won’t happen as quickly as you need it.

For your immediate needs, you really need an outside job asap. Do you have customer service experience? Because there are a lot of opportunities for that. Amazon Mechanical turk is also a favorite for many work at home seekers. It can add up to some decent money if you’re willing to put in the time: http://www.workathomenoscams.com/2008/07/29/work-at-home-with-amazoncom/

I would suggest visiting this page as well:

I wish I had a quick fix for you but I don’t. Anything that will make you some decent money is going to require some time and patience. Sorry I don’t have better news.

• Jack Parker says

Thanks for the quick response, Eddy. Yeah, I wish I’d found this site earlier. I’m not under any delusions of a quick fix so, no worries there. How about this… If I got started with WA now, are there enough viable replacement income opportunities to help me out enough until my WA business becomes lucrative?

I’m a good writer but I haven’t done it for a very long time and would like to get back into it. I know I can check out the freelancing links you offered on another page, but, as far as WA goes, how lucrative is that? And, if I may ask, do you have a business or service that YOU offer on WA or is your’s simply a service of recommending WA? I imagine you have your hands in several ventures.

You’re welcome Jack!
      Glad to hear you understand there aren’t any quick fixes. I can’t tell you how many people do come to me with such delusions!

I think the fact you’re a writer (even a rusty one. LOL) gives you a ton of options. There are plenty of content mills that pay writers. And there are always folks looking for writers online. So if you pursue that you’re fine. There are some options here: http://adf.ly/51271/writingjobs

You could probably make some great money just writing alone. But initially it may not be a lot so then you want to mix in some of the other opportunities I’ve covered.

And as you’re making money with all that other stuff you can definitely work on your business at WA. The things you learn at WA can actually help you start an online writing business if that’s the niche you want to pursue.

WA is an internet community that teaches you about how to create an online business. So it’s not necessarily a business per se. It teaches you how to create any type of online business although you do have the option of promoting WA to earn income too. But I always suggest people use WA to build a business about something they are passionate about or have tons of experience in. Either way, it’s worth signing up at the starter membership since it’s free and so you can determine if it’s right for you.

I’ll welcome you when you get there. And I’m also available there if you need help or have questions. But more importantly you have the help of thousands there not just me which is a far better situation because even if I’m not available at the time, there are other great people who are as knowledgeable as me there. Like I said, it’s better to see for yourself and make your own judgement call. I’m not really big on trying to convince folks. I just try to present the info and let you guys decide for yourselves.

Hope this helps and answers your question. I think your writing skills is going to be your money maker my friend. It’s a skill that is always in demand online and that won’t change anytime soon. Now you just need to apply it with some of these websites and to use it to build your own business. I’m by no means a writer. But I’ve managed to do pretty well despite my limitations with proper spelling and grammar usage. LOL

5. Michelle Young says

Thank you for your time and research on online job. I know the rest is up to myself ,just needed to tell you , your appreciated.

6. mm says

I have received an opportunity to become a mystery shopper. this person asked for my name address, phone number. I waited two days and the person stated they checkin my background. I was informed to choose two money grams business and I did walmart and acs now, I am suppose to agree to a contract and they will send me 200 after completion of assignment, someone emailed to agree ans an email.. what are your thoughts…. MS evaluator is the name I hav received ,also benson Hopewell shopper.onlineus2013@gmail.comwas on of the references also MS evaluator Roots@so-net.ne.vp

7. Shaymma Ramphalie-Oudit says

I do not live in the USA. I was wondering if any of these companies use people outside of the US. I have a US bank account since I lived a few years there, if that helps with payment….

Hi, you might want to try signing up for them and verifying this or contacting the companies directly. Having a US bank account might help you.

8. Kim Durham says

Hi Eddy, Inbox dollars is legit, I have been with them for over two years now. You can cash out at thirty, and get a check mailed out to you. That’s how I have been doing it, and I have had no complaints so far. I do know people who complain about not getting enough surveys, but you have to do the profiles and keep your information updated.

Yep. That’s why I listed and recommended them. I agree about surveys, that’s just across the board with that industry. Your demographics will play a huge role in if you get surveys or are accepted. Unfortunately most people don’t understand this and take it personal or label a company a scam because of this lack of understanding. Thanks for chiming in.

I’m not sure if you’ve actually read anything on this site but all the answers you seek are already here if you take the time to READ and take action. We even have a section above every page including this one: “NEW TO THIS SITE? START HERE:” that provides you with everything you just asked for.

With that said, you should probably start here:

Good luck. We’ve done all the hard work. All you have to do is actually READ the material and take action.

Hi,
    I have been out of work for over a year and despite sending out numerous resumes no luck. I willing to work from home but I don’t know how to find the legit at home business. I dont’ have money to give for kits(I think this is a scam). I know there are some large corportations that have at home opportunties but I don’t know how to find them. Can someone help me out and lead me to a company in the U.S. that is legit and sends a actual debit card or paycheck to you.

11. Christy says

Eddy, I have also been scammed alot. I am trying to find a home based business to not work with the public sot that I can get my bills caught up & paid on time. I would like to replace my current income. I have done some research & came up with some that I don’t know if they are legit or not. I have been looking for quite a while & am just tired of waiting for my dreams to come true. I want to get something going so I don’t have to go to work at a certain time & work on weekends when I want to be doing other things.

Sendearnings is also completely legit. It is the exact same thing as inboxdollars. They take effort in order to get your money faster. For the paid emails you only get 2 cents for every one you read. You have to participate in the other venues on the website in order to earn your thirty dollars faster. But you do get a 5$ signup bonus, so you only have to earn $25.

Hey Jayme! You’re welcome. It just drives me crazy when people solely rely on the BBB as the be and end all indicator of a company’s legitimacy especially when you consider their business model.

They definitely serve a purpose and for the most part are useful. But people should just use them as one of MANY reference points before coming to conclusions about a company.

• Davidasasanders says

The BBB is just a company. Most people think that they are set up by the government, as if that’s a plus. They are not set up by cities or states or Federal. They charge large fees to even be listed. The BBB is a company trying to make profits like any other company. I was interviewed by the BBB to go to work for them and it was not what I thought it was. They should not be used as the “last word” when checking out another company. Take their rating with a tablespoon of salt!

LOL, Amen! You try telling people that and they look at you like you’re speaking blasphemy or another language. Obviously I totally agree with you. They’re only one of many data points and resources people should use to make an informed decision about a company.

14. Jayme Boyles says

I wanted to thank you for this article Eddy!!  Most people have no idea that BBB is a paid membership, and even if a company has an “A”, then they wonder why there are complaints, or why they are not accredited.

That’s a common misconception. There are tons of scams that never ask you for a dime and are just as dangerous:
    Just read the following articles and all the comments and you’ll see what I mean:

Then there are companies which are actually home based business and not jobs. With any business there is a start up cost. So sometimes people confuse the difference between a job and a home based business and make the incorrect assumption that a legitimate home based business is a scam because it requires a start up cost. But that is incorrect as well.

Now when it comes to a straight job, you shouldn’t have to pay a fee. So there are differences and folks need to be aware of that. These blanket statements is what gets people in trouble.

16. Aldenallison says

The first thing you are told to avoid a scam is that “YOU DON’T PAY FOR A JOB’!!!!!! the first thing I look at you have to pay for. To me, if you are asked to pay to work, IT IS A SCAM!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your experience but it’s definitely not the norm. From my experience when folks aren’t getting paid, its for a number of reasons.

1. Technical issues. Your computer may not be tracking cookies properly which will cause you not to get credit.

2. People are cheating the system or breaking rules.

18. Silvio Renzulli says

Fusioncash is a joke. I tried it, did a bunch of surveys and got nothing, not even the $5 for signing up.

19. Bradguy10 says

So eddy lets see how trusty worthy you I don’t think you will answer me but lets see.I have been scamed so many times before I want to know why I should trust you are anyone else.If you are trust worthy answer me and tell me why to trust you

Brad,
      I’m not really in the business of trying to convince people of my legitimacy. Most people that actually take the time to READ my body of work such as the article above, my personal recommendations:

work at home guide:

or who visit my media page:

can tell from reading that information that I’m the real deal. When folks take the time to actually read my material and take action one of two things occurs, they make some money or avoid a terrible scam because I teach people how to fend for themselves via my scam video: http://www.workathomenoscams.com/scams

When you also factor that I’ve been doing this for many years, that tends to put a lot of folks at ease. At the end of the day I can’t convince you of my legitimacy nor do I want to.
      You’ll come to that conclusion when you take the time to actually read what I offer. Just because you ask someone if they’re legitimate doesn’t mean they’ll be honest. What scam artist is actually going to tell you yes I’m out to scam you. So that’s not how you determine if someone is legitimate. You research them (see my scam video) and you check out their work. That’s how you determine if someone is a scam.

In any event, I wish you the best of luck. You should definitely have a healthy skepticism of this industry. But ultimately skepticism without any research or proper justification won’t help you make money either. There are good sites out there. And if you take the time to read this one, you’ll soon realize that. Good luck to you.

• Sarah says

Eddy, this could not have been said any better in
      response to Brad’s question..def made me giggle. I was looking for the like button lol Keep being so honest & your positive demeanor. I bet I can speak on behalf of a lot of people, you are definitely helping us out with your powerful knowledge! I enjoy reading your articles!

Thanks Sarah! LOL
      I always try to stay professional and positive. I get that a lot of people have been scammed. So they make assumptions about me. So sometimes you just have to remind people we’re not all out here to get you. And if you actually read my body of work, you’ll see that.

Unfortunately not everyone has enough the attention span or patience to do it. But that’s okay, I try to focus on good folks like yourself that get it.

So thanks for the support! It’s appreciated!

Unfortunately most of the opportunities are geared towards U.S. residents. Although I think some of my non-traditional recommendations may be open to you:
    http://www.workathomenoscams.com/recommendations the best way to know is to try to sign up for anything that may be of interest to you and see what the company says.

We do have an international section you may want to try here:

Sorry I couldn’t be of more assistance.

• Anonymous says

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond Eddy. I will certainly take a look at the link that you provided.

Have a great day.
      Angela

You’re welcome Angela! Thank you for actually saying thank you for responding. Most people don’t! It’s good to see good manners still exist out there! =)

21. ANRGP says

Good morning Eddy, I was wondering if the opportunities that you’ve posted within your links are for Canadian residents? My question has more to do with payment, taxes etc.  If these opportunities do not apply for CDN residents, would you be able to point me in another direction.

I would appreciate any help.

Angela

22. Jacqueline says

Hello Eddy.  I am wanting to know what, if anything, do you know about HSV Group in Hungary.  They are a consulting and software company.  Wondered if they were too good to be true or if they are actually a legit bulsiness.

23. Janet Shook says

Hello Eddy, I found your website by pure luck. I have been searching for a long time for legitimate work at home opportunity. I’m glad I found your site. What I do when I am searching is read the fine print at the bottom of their page and then read the terms and policy page as well. That is where you find alot of disagreeable information. They don’t think that most of the people will read it, But believe me I do.
    Thanks for your site, I have found your site very hopeful in every aspeck.
    Thanks- Janet

Hey Janet,
      Glad you found our site too. I would like to think it wasn’t pure luck and more a result of my genius marketing. lol

In any event, it’s a great habit you have in reading the fine print. Most of us don’t including myself. Ironically I just discussed this fact in the following article:

As I said there, in most terms and conditions there is always nasty little surprises in them. At their very core it’s basically a blanket statement to protect the company and screw you if something goes wrong. That being said some of them have some even shadier things where your may have some unexpected fees showing up on a card or some other nasty things. I’m a lot more mindful of terms and conditions when it has something to do with a get paid to try offer opportunity: http://www.workathomenoscams.com/2008/05/07/getpaidtotryoffers/

In any event, I think it’s a good thing that you research in that way. But just keep in mind what I said in that most of those statements will have something in them that you may not like. Thanks for sharing.

24. Paigetc61 says

I can bet you money, I can send this comment, and you won’t respond. I have so lost faIth in this make-believe home business, and there are so many others that disbelieve it too. Make a believer out of me, Eddy…RESPOND! and show me some legimate home businesses where I can make money. PLEASE???

Paige, It’s obvious you’ve been scammed a lot. Many folks who have first visited this site have been there. That being said it doesn’t mean everyone is out to get you. Work at home scams are easy to avoid if you just do your research which we’ve made very easy by following the steps in my scam video: http://www.workathomenoscams.com/scams
      Once you’ve mastered that skill it’s a lot easier to manuever around the web and avoid a lot of the nonsense you’ve probably run into.

There are tons of legitimate work at home opportunities out there. Some are businesses and some are jobs. The key to success in this industry is to educate yourself on how it works and what to avoid. If you have an open mind and are willing to read and take action then this is the right site for you and you can start by visiting the following pages:

But if you want to go around assuming that everything is a scam and won’t work then that’s what you’ll continue to find. Folks are making money. It’s just a matter of having the right guidance and resources. Good luck to you.

25. Pennyhawkins1966 says

Dear Eddy, is there anything really legit for people who used to work for companies that had you make products at home then you shipped them back for pay? What happened to those companies? Are any of them still in business and if so, where can we find them?
    Thanks.
    P.

Brian,
    You’re quite welcome. I’m glad that I can give you some confidence and the path to give this a shot! Success is possible in this industry when you have the right guidance, mindset and resources. So I’m confident if you’re persistent, you’ll eventually land something.

I would suggest focusing on the following pages to help you get started in the right path:

I hope this helps.

27. Brian says

Eddy, after searching your site I have gained some confidence back that there is a future in the internet for me. I have been doing the same trade for many years now and am being forced to step down due to physical problems
    that were accrued in the military. I have always given 150% to everything I started and I feel that if I start on the correct path I can succeed. I feel that this was my first positive choice and now just keep going.
    Thanks–Brian J.

28. RealitySeeker says

BBB gives no follow up status to a complaint…just a “SATISFIED” status Also the BBB has complaints coming from a companies “COMPETITORS” as well as disgruntled employees fo a company. they also use high pressure tactics if you go to meet them about signing up. they put you in a room with a high pressure closer. It is a scam in itself.

Thanks for sharing that. I’ve heard whispers of this as well. But in general I think they are a great resource that really has helped a lot of people avoid some real bad situations. That being said, I never just depend on them as my sole resource for research as many people suggest. They are of one of MANY data points I use to determine if a company is a scam.

29. kathy says

i would like to say thank u 4 your website because i have been looking 4 a work at home site for the longest without thinking to investigate first all i knew is that u should not pay money to obtain work .i am still looking but please believe me i am not trying anything without the help of your web site thank you 4 your honesty and help .Kat D.

30. KS says

@Erika:

yes they do research each and every company that get a BBB approval if you think that this is untrue then you should talk with someone who works for the BBB or not read one article written by someone who just want to stir more drama where it isn’t need! Know people who have been approved by the BBB.

KS,
      I’m assuming you’re referring to me. I’m not sure if you actually read the article above based on your comment. I’m not in the business of stirring anything up. I merely pointed out that the BBB isn’t the only resource to rely on and a few complaints doesn’t equate a scam.