Quicktate.com is a transcription company that has been around since 2008.
If you don't know what transcription is, it's basically involves listening to some type of audio recording such as a Doctor's medical notes, a voicemail message, lecture, etc and then having someone type them out into text.
When folks want those audio messages transcribed, they hire transcriptionist to type them out. Some transcription is more specialized and difficult than others. For instance Legal and Medical transcription requires some training so that you're familiar with the complex terminology used in the recordings.
If you've read my blog long enough I've always preached that transcription is pretty much the only consistent kind of legitimate typing job out there. It turns some people off because sometimes it does require more specialized training and experience than generic typing or data entry jobs which aren't available in large numbers. But for folks that are truly serious about working at home typing then it's really an option that must be explored. It's like the saying goes, you got to get in where you fit in.
Or your other option is virtual call centers such as Arise, Alpine Access, VIP desk, etc., which provide you with typing and data entry as well but you need to be on a phone and have a quiet work environment which isn't always an option for many of my stay at home parent visitors.
In any event, now that we've provided that long winded lesson on transcriptions and why you need it in your life, let's review why Quicktate.com may or may not be a viable work at home option for you.
How much Does Quicktate.com pay?
Strangely they didn't have these details right on the QuickTate.com Transcription sign up page.
Instead you had to dig for it in their help desk. I don't understand why companies do this. Don't hide one of the most important bits of information. Make it easy to find. But I digress. They pay 1/4 cent per word for general and legal transcription. Then they pay 1/2 cent per word for medical transcription. They further note that voicemail message files average 1-2 minutes in length, while the other recordings are typically longer. Look, It's not a lot but assuming there is enough work, it can add up.
Furthermore, after being with Quicktate for some time and if you have proven your ability, you may be offered a position with their sister company, iDictate. Agents working for iDictate receive twice the pay of a Quicktate agent. So that's something to keep in mind if you're already moaning about the pay rate.
How do they pay?
They pay via paypal twice a month around the 15th and end of each month. Again this was information buried in the help desk.
Are folks from outside the U.S. able to work with Quicktate.com?
I'm assuming any country that paypal works with is also one that Quicktate will work with since it's their preferred payment method.
What are the hours like?
Like most work at home opportunities we love, the hours are flexible. Obviously that's the reason we all want these type of gigs. With Quicktate.com you can pick your own hours that you want to work. You can work as few, or as many hours as you want. They are open for business 24 hours/ day; 7 days/ week which is great for us folks that may want to pull a late or super early shifts. Again that's assuming if there is work available during the times you login.
Are you an employee or an IC?
Like most work at home opportunities you are considered an Independent contractor and not an employee. So that means you're responsible for your own taxes and such. As I've said before this good be a great thing if you have an accountant that knows how to work with Independent contractors. You often have a lot more write offs than an employee. Either way read our work at home and taxes article here to ease any fears or anxiety you have about working as an IC. You'll need to get over them quick because that's how most of these work at home opportunities work because it's a benefit to the employers.
What are the requirements to work for QuickTate.com?
- First and foremost, they want experienced and professional transcriptionists. However I've read that some newbies have been able to work for the company.
- You also need accurate spelling and punctuation. (This definitely leaves me out of the running. lol)
- Obviously they also want typist that can listen to voices and accurately type what they hear. (Duh!)
- They also expect that you have your own equipment, supplies and home office or work space.
- It's sad that the following requirement needs to be mentioned but based on my experience with some at home workers, I can see why it was mentioned on their site. They want Typist that know how to follow instructions. Sadly this isn't as common as you think anymore.
How do you get started with this company?
Well it's a detailed process which I'm not really going to repeat here since they do a great job of listing it on the sign up page.
So if you're interested just visit that page and FOLLOW THE SPECIFIC DIRECTIONS, which I suspect they have made very detailed to weed out the wrong people for this opportunity. Can't really hate on them for that considering the accuracy and attention to detail required.
Well you already know that every company has it's flaws. Nothing can be all sweet as we like to say around the way. So what are the common complaints regarding this company?
1. Obviously the pay is going to be an issue for some people. This may not be an opportunity you can depend on to support your family or for consistent income. It has to be viewed like many non-traditional opportunities I personal recommend where it's one of many multiple streams of income that add up to make the type of money you want. Not everyone can appreciate that philosophy. So if that's you then you've probably already stopped reading this review when you saw the pay. lol
2. Apparently there were some scammers riding on the good name of Quicktate.com and sending the age old wire transfer, Western Union or Money gram scam emails we have warned against on our scam page. It's a common technique that scammers use because they know folks are wising up and doing the type of research we suggest. So to trick people into a false sense of security they'll often use legitimate company names, websites addresses, brand, etc in their scams. Unfortunately some people aren't educated in this industry and have assumed that Quicktate are actually these scammers. Hopefully you know better now after reading this.
As you can see there really isn't much in the way of complaints that I could find. However if you have experience with the company and have some of your own, feel free to chime in below.
So is QuickTate.com legitimate?
Honestly from where I'm sitting, it looks pretty legit to me. There are always going to be people whining that if a company doesn't pay the type of money they deem as appropriate then it's a scam or a waste of time. I've always argued that word scam is thrown around too loosely on the web. It's like the go to label to use when you just don't like a certain quality about a company. So I always take scam reports with a grain of salt and try to dig deeper. You should too!
Is it a waste of your time? That's really for you to judge. I have a different view of money. I'm of the school of thought that it all adds up. If I have free time I'm the one that will take little polls like the ones from ICS and earn a few pennies. But obviously I also have a full time job as an affiliate marketer that earns way more than that. So for me it's all about balance. Why not make a few cents here and there during your down time while watching TV or waiting for your wife to get dress. People waste time all day long watching youtube videos, surfing the web, reading gossip etc. Yet these folks are the same people that bitch and moan that surfing ads on clixsense is a waste of their time. The logic just doesn't add up to me.
But to each their own. Depending on your personality you'll be happy to find that Quicktate.com is another option to add to your multiple streams of income or you're rolling your eyes right now. It's all good either way. Do what ever works for you and been getting you results.